Monday 12 September 2011

My Review: How The Dead See by David Owen

David Owen's How The Dead See is the sixth book in the Detective Franz Heineken, aka Pufferfish series. They are not just well-written Australian fiction, but uniquely Tasmanian crime fiction in their nature. Now that I am Tasmanian (albeit only a relative newcomer), I thoroughly appreciate the descriptions of the scenery and landscape of the 'small island'. That is not to say that this book and the series as a whole, does not have wider appeal.

The descriptions and Tasmanian parochialism are wrapped around two intriguing crime fiction plotlines. The theft of a valuable diamond necklace, seemingly by a former safe-cracking nemesis, and the death by apparent suicide of an Errol Flynn-like aging film star.

Detective Franz Heineken, aka Pufferfish, from the Tasmanian Police Force weighs in and takes the reader on a literary police procedural journey to resolution. And all is not as it seems, particularly for an aging movie star that has gone from success to excess.

I am so happy to have discovered the David Owen, Pufferfish series of books. I enjoy the humour and introspective views by Pufferfish on police work, criminals and life in general. As a character he has some layers that only the reader is privy to. Having read the last two in the series published in 2010 & 2011, I am now trying to source the original four books published in the mid to late 90's. Whether a non-Tasmanian would have the same level of entertainment is something I can't answer and I will watch future reviews with interest. Nevertheless, being an easy-to-read 230ish pages, if you enjoy police procedural novels, particularly Australian ones with an intriguing and amusing cast of characters, then I recommend that you will enjoy this book - as I did!

MY RATING: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard of this series - i will have to look for it at the library. Thanks for sharing your review

    ReplyDelete