Friday 2 September 2011

My Review: Frantic by Katherine Howell

What an absorbing debut novel by Katherine Howell and the book was aptly titled as it provided non-stop frantic action from start to finish. Although this is the first book in what has become known as the Detective Ella Marconi series, this book focuses mainly upon ambulance paramedic, Sophie Phillips. Sophie is married to a policeman, is the mother of an infant son and spends her working life attending ambulance emergencies in Sydney. The paramedic angle to a crime fiction book is a great idea, and the procedural aspects of her character were intriguing and obviously well-researched, and I was not surprised subsequently to learn author Katherine Howell was herself an ex-paramedic.

The interwoven plot included a series of violent armed hold-ups that appear to involve members of the police force, a kidnapping, a brooding husband that is withholding information and an incredibly obtuse and gullible main character in Sophie Phillips. For someone seemingly as strong-willed and determined, Sophie was very easily coerced into bed with the bad guys (in more ways than one!).

My only minor issue with this book was that I felt it ended with a few issues still unresolved. I would like to know the fate of Sophie. She is definitely no paragon of virtue, with adultery, stealing, impersonating a police officer, lying, auto-theft and assisting in a murder among her misdemeanours. Was she arrested? Charged? Sacked? Exonerated? I also felt the armed-holdup issues were not fully resolved. Who was the gang? How extensive was the police corruption? And maybe I missed something, but I never fully understood the Police Commissioner's involvement either.

These personal issues aside, I enjoyed the book and the fast-paced style. It is a very solid and entertaining debut novel and I am excited that I have come across an Australian crime fiction author that I haven't read before. I am sourcing the next books in the series as we speak, and I look forward to reading more Detective Ella Marconi books in the future.

MY RATING: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    Thrilled to find another Aussie who enjoys crime fiction :)
    I enjoy this series as well

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete