Thursday 29 September 2011

My Review: Bereft by Chris Womersley

This is the second novel by Australian author Chris Womersley and is set in the fictitious outback NSW town of Flint before, during and directly after World War I.

Quinn Walker is the 'bereft' character who from the age of 16 has endured a life of abject misery. Accused of murdering his beloved younger sister, fleeing the scene and then surviving WWI at the frontline in Gallipoli and France as a decorated soldier, Quinn sneaks back to his hometown some 10 years later. There he finds his mother dying from influenza, a drunken, downtrodden father and a township that would gladly string him from the nearest tree if they discovered his true identity.

With his tragic life lurching from one inescapable hell to the next, Quinn's saviour is an unlikely 12 year old orphan girl Sadie Fox, who Quinn discovers hiding-out in the hills that surround Flint. Sadie has also suffered intolerable loss during her 12 years, but unlike Quinn, is optimistic and hopeful of her future. She also has some paranormal skills that gives her an insight into Quinn's past. With their bond forged, Sadie gives Quinn the courage and conviction to eventually right some past wrongs and get his life of misery back on track.

A very well written, intriguing and suspenseful book. I really enjoyed Chris Womersley's style and descriptions. In fact, the vast majority of the book was a brilliant, well-paced 5 star read. My only point of contention was the ending. To me it felt rushed, with all the loose ends tied up in the space of a few pages. Without spoiling the finale, I wanted some public humiliation and name-clearing. Perhaps a greater sense of revenge than I felt. I wanted the bad guys to suffer intolerably like Quinn had, and I was left wanting more - possibly the author's intention.

This aside, Chris Womersley has written a brilliant novel. I am so glad to have discovered another incredibly talented Australian author. Chris Womersley's first book The Low Road has been added to my 'TBR' list and I eagerly await his future offerings.

MY RATING 4.5/5

5 comments:

  1. Hey TasBookLover,
    Nice little review and a nice site. I have not read Bereft, probably won't until the hype dies down a bit and I can approach it objectively, but The Low Road is on my to list for the next month or so.
    Cheers,
    Andrew
    www.pulpcurry.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you ARE meant to be left wanting more...otherwise it wouldn't be the kind of story it is. For Quinn to have gotten any kind of revenge or closure would have provided a tinge of something other than the gothic feel the novel had. I read this a few months ago and still feel conflicted about it...I adore Womersley's writing but I find his books to be too...I don't know the word...singular in tone so there is not a great deal of suspense. I never for one moment thought there would be the kind of ending you wanted. I would have liked it of course but I thought from the outset it wasn't that kind of story and nothing I read as I went on even suggested it would have anything other than the bleak ending it turned out to have. That kind of single tone to a story annoys me a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Andrew for your kind comments and I really enjoy your blog also. I hope you enjoy Bereft once the hype dies down :) I'll await your views on The Low Road also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bernadette. I can see where you are coming from, and I guess the bleak ending did suit the rest of the book. I guess I just felt hollow/unfulfilled. I was looking for the 'feel-good' ending and it just felt 'OK-ish'. **SPOILER ALERT** Quinn had lived such an awful, wretched life, and I so wanted him to find some resolution or acceptance in Flint. I guess his mother provided this to a degree, but I secretly hoped Quinn's father would get to know the true story and offer him some redemption. Who knows perhaps there is scope for a sequel. It is a high quality book and provides plenty of food for thought anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, it really told me more about the story which I'd been wanting to know more about. I've read a lot of they hype stuff around it, but not what the story is actually about :-) I do really want to read this, but just haven't got around to it yet - so many books, so little time...

    ReplyDelete