Thursday 8 September 2011

My Review: Blood Born by Kathryn Fox

The fourth Dr. Anya Crichton novel medical thriller novel by Australian author Kathryn Fox. Following a brutal gang rape mistrial, teenager Giverny Hart is found near death on the morning she is due to give evidence in the re-trial. Whilst unsuccessfully and frantically attempting to save her life, Anya destroys crucial evidence and the alleged perpetrators, the Harbourn brothers walk free. Compounding Anya's guilt, two sisters are raped, with one being found murdered on the same evening the Harbourn brothers are released. And so the investigations begin and the plot twists and turns to a surprising ending.

As well as being a successful author, Kathryn Fox is a medical practitioner and her descriptions of forensics and medical procedures throughout the Anya Crichton series are always well-researched, seemingly authentic and not as laborious as I have found in some other medical thrillers. The sensitive topic of gang rape is also handled professionally by Fox, without being gratuitous.

The only problem I have with this book is actually warming to Dr. Anya Crichton. As in others I have read, I find her character at times demonstrative, even aloof. Occasionally I even feel lectured by her. I keep feeling that she needs some character flaws or quirkyness, to make her more likeable and less perfect. Nevertheless, this is just a minor personal quibble and may not be felt as strongly by other readers.

As with all the books in the Anya Crichton series, this book is well-plotted, well-written and obviously well-researched. You know you are going to get a quality and intriguing medical thriller with Kathryn Fox and Blood Born is no exception.

MY RATING: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. I read the first in this series and did not like it that much, partly as you say the character of Anna did not gel for me, and partly the plot was rather weak. I have not read more but reviewers I respect rate her highly, so I must come back to her sometime. (Have you read another Australian woman crime author, Katherine Howell? I've read a couple of hers and liked them a lot.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maxine and thankyou for the comment. I thought the plot was strong in this one, but I agree with you in regards to Anna. I am not sure what she needs - maybe some humour to round out her edges. She seems a little too invincible or invulnerable at times.

    I have read Frantic by Katherine Howell (her first book) and enjoyed it very much. It was flat out! Very hgh quality for a debut novel. I am looking forward to reading the others. The paramedic angle is a new one for me.

    ReplyDelete