Wednesday 19 October 2011

My Review: Storm Boy by Colin Thiele

I have deviated from the Australian crime fiction genre just briefly to re-visit a book I enjoyed as a child.

Having previously lived not far from Goolwa and The Coorong, and also having been entertained by Mr Percival (from the movie) at the Adelaide Zoo as a youngster, I felt quite sentimental re-reading this book after so many years. The book was standard fare to South Australian (and Australian) schoolchildren in the 1970s and early 1980s, and upon re-reading, I was surprised how little the book had dated over the years.

For me, the book still evoked the same raw emotions as they did 30 years ago when I first read the story. I have always loved the indigenous Fingerbone Bill character (played by David Gulpilil in the movie) and the empathy and bond he shared with the young Storm Boy. They both shared an instinctive and protective love of their environment which is as relevant today as the day Storm Boy was written.

A powerful YA story packed into a short 60ish pages that is still valid today and can be read in conjunction with the equally powerful SA Film Corporation movie of the same name (and some tissues).

MY RATING: 5/5

1 comment:

  1. Ahh this is such a beautiful Australian classic and I loved the film as well.

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete