Friday 7 October 2011

My Review: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief is the 5th book by Australian author Markus Zusak and is set in Germany during WWII.

Hmmm, what to say about this book that hasn't already been said? - I'll keep it brief!

The book is written in an unconventional style with the narrator being Death itself - a very busy character during WWII. The book also contained small handwritten sections with illustrations and (somewhat controversially), a brief summary of contents prior to each chapter that forewarned of the events about to take place. Some people found this off-putting and I guess it is one of the reasons why this book has become so polarising.

It seems The Book Thief is either loved or loathed. I for one loved it. The unconventional style worked for me. I found the short sharp quips from Death (the narrator) added humour and occasionally a sense of direction to an otherwise very dark book. His almost flippant view of death and tragedy balanced a book that was knee deep in it. As for the chapter contents list - knowing what was going to happen in advance enabled me focus on certain events and characters and in most instances heightened the emotion.

And yes there was emotion. The lump in my throat was a permanent fixture towards the end of the book. I loved the characters, I adored the way the book was written and the plot was brilliantly conceived. An outstanding book, that will definitely require tissues.

MY RATING 5/5

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you - it was unique and wonderful!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book too. Death's definitions were a high point for me, some of them were so insightful.

    ReplyDelete