Tuesday 13 May 2014

My Review: Murder And Mendelssohn By Kerry Greenwood (Phryne Fisher #20)

This is my third foray into the world of Phryne Fisher, and I was glad to find that little has changed since my last visit. Phryne is still very much a paradox character for her times. A dominant female persona that is sophisticated, smart, witty, charming and definitely far more liberal with her relationships than the men of the 1920s were accustomed too.

The main crux of the story is a murder mystery investigation set amongst the chaos of choral rehearsals for a Mendelssohn musical concert. Complementing this were numerous subplots, one of which enabled author Kerry Greenwood to explore one of the more taboo topics for the times in homosexuality. Although illegal in the 1920s, and described quite daringly by author Kerry Greenwood, the topic didn't come across as gratuitous and fitted easily into Phryne Fisher's world. In fact, the artistic setting coupled with Phryne's aristocratic acquaintances provided the perfect vehicle for it's involvement in the novel. 

My only small nitpick with the book was that I found the inclusion of song lyrics to be overused and a little distracting throughout the text. I have to admit, I wasn't familiar with the musical pieces being discussed and maybe this clouded my view. And perhaps someone with more classical musical knowledge might have found them a more rewarding and valuable inclusion. Nevertheless, it was only a small issue. 

This aside, it was once again an enthralling adventure to escape into Phryne Fisher's world for a few hours. As always, I thoroughly enjoyed the descriptions of the times, and in particular 1920s Melbourne. Phryne is her usual shockingly liberal, seductive self, and the plot provides the vehicle for her deductive talents to come to the fore. I am more than happy to recommend this book to anybody who enjoys crime fiction, particularly in a historical setting, and I personally am encouraged to go back and read some of the earlier books in the series, while I wait for #21 to hit the bookshelves. 

I would like to thank the publisher Poisoned Pen Press and Net Galley for providing me with my Advanced Reading Copy.


MY RATING 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment